Choosing A Format For A Five-Paragraph Essay: General Guidelines
Writing a five paragraph essay will be one of the most difficult things that you ever did. You have to be extremely careful with the kind of information that you introduce in the composition and to give up useless details ; they will only occupy a lot of space for nothing. At the same time, you also have to be careful when you edit your text; this can make the difference between a good and a bad composition. Here are some general guidelines to help you in this process:
- Arrange the text properly. Since it’s such a short composition, you have to make sure that it will fit on only one page. This is a proof of professionalism and your professor will appreciate it.
- Don’t use a large font. The composition is supposed to be short, so don’t try to make it longer by using a larger font. In the same time, if you write more than you should don’ try to hide this by using a small font. It will be disturbing for any reader because they will have to struggle to read the composition. Of course, your professor will see what you tried to do.
- Use a classic format. Since it’s such a simple assignment, there is no point to make it more complicated. You don’t have to introduce additional elements that will not bring any benefits for the reader. Keep it classic and simple if you want to get high marks.
- Skip the quotes and the references. Usually, you are tempted to use many references, just to prove that you made a lot of research. In this situation you actually have to stay away from all this; there is not enough space for them. Also, if you do use a quote you will also have to mention the author and the source and this will take at least two lines.
- Don’t use charts and schemes. It does not matter how explicit they are; they are too big for such a short composition. Besides, they will make the page look crowded and somehow chaotic, especially if you also use colors. If you have to explain a specific information, do it in writing instead of using a chart or drawing. Your professor will be happy that you kept everything simple, and he will give you a good grade.